B.C. Supreme Court orders $100-million payout for injured soldiers

Vancouver – B.I. Supreme Council members on Thursday voted to award a $100 million settlement to a B.J.E. worker who was seriously injured in the Line 26 incident in 2006.

The decision was not unanimous, with some members supporting a payout while others were skeptical.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in July that a BJE contractor should be liable for damages to B.V. soldier Mark Bostock, who was injured by an explosive vest in the June 18, 2006, incident near the Port Coquitlam waterfront.

Bostock’s lawyer argued the suit was inappropriate and should have been thrown out by a lower court because of a technicality in the contractor’s defence.

Justice Brian Hallett, who ruled the suit unconstitutional, said the Supreme Court had decided to “discover new ground.”

He called the lawsuit’s merit a matter of public interest and said he believed the Supreme Bank of Canada would also support the payout.

The case was first reported by the Province and obtained by The Globe and Mail.

The lawsuit claimed that a line of mine protection equipment that was attached to the worker’s backpack was improperly positioned.

The worker was seriously wounded, requiring surgery and three months in hospital.

The B.A.F. said the B.B.F., the BC Civilian Police Service and the BC Mine Safety Commission were all involved in the incident and that they had been informed of the incident.

B.O.B., which had previously denied responsibility for the incident, said it was aware of the lawsuit and that it would “consider all relevant legal options.”

“We will be following up with the Supreme Council to determine the next steps,” a spokesman said in an email.